ShadowProtect Manual Import
In some instances you may need to ship a physical hard drive to Accelerite Support so that the ShadowProtect images can be uploaded to rCloud. This procedure is called Seeding via Disk (also referred to as a Manual Import). The preparation and shipping of a drive is described below.
Prepare and Ship a Hard Drive
Follow the steps below to ship us your ShadowProtect backups on a disk so we can upload them to the rCloud service for you. Before you begin, please note:
- Be sure to start a new, continuous, incremental backup chain by running a new full backup before importing your server to rCloud.
- Only ship bare (i.e., non-enclosed) 3.5. SATA hard drives and package them appropriately. The rCloud manual import service supports hard drive capacities up to 4 TB.
- Do not send USB drives or enclosures as they will be returned without your disk images being imported.
- When populating seed disks locally attached to the server where the rCloud agent is installed have the backups written to the root of the disk.
When populating seed disks mounted as a network share, create a root-level shared folder on the disk (e.g. .\servername\sharename.).
NOTE: the administrative share (e.g. \servername\d$) will not work
- Format import seed disks with one .Primary. NTFS partition.
You can ship multiple servers on a single disk. Please notify us only once for each disk you send even if an individual disk contains data from multiple servers.
- For each disk being sent, complete the Disk Seeding Form with a list of clients and servers being shipped. This will generate your case number.
- Note down this case number (reference number) as you will be required to enter it while setting up the machine for seeding.
- Create a Client if one doesn't already exist for the machines you are seeding.
NOTE: The minimum agent version required to perform this import is [email protected] . You can check the version on the Agents tab once the agent checks in. Contact Accelerite Support if the agent needs to be updated.
- Click on the Machines tab.
- Click ADD SEED.
In the Seed to Cloud dialog box, click the buttons to select ShadowProtect Machine and via Shipped Disk.
- Complete the top section of the form as you would for an import via the Internet
- Ensure the correct Agent is selected in the Agent drop down list.
- Enter the ShadowProtect Backup Location
- Enter and confirm the ShadowProtect Decryption Password (if there is one)
- If you entered a UNC path in the ShadowProtect Backup Location enter credentials to access the share.
- Enter the Domain Name, Computer Name or IP Address in the Backup Location Domain/Computer/NAS
- Enter the User name in the Backup Location User field
- Enter and confirm the password the Backup Location Password fields
- Enter a meaningful Machine Name, it will be used to identify the machine in the rCloud.
- Complete the bottom section of the form with the disk seeding information
- Type in the case Reference Number that you received by filling out the disk seeding form, or by direct e-mail.
- Fill in the Destination Drive or UNC path. This is the location of the disk where the data will be copied to
- If you are entering a drive letter just enter drive letter and a colon (no backslash). e.g. F:
- If you are entering a UNC path only enter the server and share name, do not enter sub-folders. e.g. \server\share NOTE: When copying to a UNC path ensure a root level share is created. The administrative share (e.g. \server\d$) will not work.
- If the destination drive is a UNC path, fill in the Domain/Computer Name/NAS field and credentials. Do NOT complete these field if the Destination Drive is a local.
If you are logging in to the rCloud web application for the first time, the Agreement of Seeding dialog box is displayed. Review the information about the change of address and click I AGREE AND CONTINUE to continue with the manual import.
On the Import panel verify the import type as via Shipped Disk and click on Seed Disk to start the copying process.
The Operation page will show the notification Copy Requested, as shown below.
When the copy process starts, the notification changes to Copying.
You can click on the Preparing link and go to the Backups tab for the machine that is being imported.
Seeding a disk for manual import may take some time. Shortly after the process starts, it will calculate a time to completion. The estimate is displayed in the Upload Completed column.
When finished, the system will show Copy Completed in the Status column.
The notification is also shown in the Machines tab.
Ship the drive
PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS BELOW AS WE HAVE RECENTLY MOVED OFFICE LOCATIONS.
Please ship all seed drives to:
Attn: rCloud Support
Reference: (your case/reference number)
3380 146th Place SE, Suite 220
Bellevue, WA 98007
The Shipping Reference should be the case number you received.
When the drive arrives at Accelerite Support, we will give you an estimated time frame for the completed import to start based on the current volume of imports. We will return all drives via ground shipping.
Packing Your Drive for Shipment
We require that hard drives be appropriately packaged to ship to our data centers for disk seeding.