vSphere Manual Import
In some instances you may need to import your vSphere virtual machines via a physical import disk. This procedure is called Seeding via Disk (also referred to as a Manual Import). The basic workflow is: * Set up and connect an import disk. * Import your server images to the import disk. * Ship your import disk to Accelerite Support.
Preparing an Import Disk
Follow the steps below to ship us your vSphere VM images on a disk so we can upload them to the rCloud service for you. Before you begin, please note: * Only ship to Accelerite Support bare (i.e., non-enclosed) 3.5. SATA hard drives and package them appropriately. The rCloud manual import service only supports drives up to 4TB. * Do not send USB drives as they will be returned without your disk images being imported. * There must not be any existing snapshots on machines you intend to import. Existing snapshots will cause the copy process to fail. * Format import disks with one .Primary. NTFS partition. * Create a root-level shared folder on the disk (e.g. .servernamesharename.).
You can ship multiple servers on a single disk. Please notify us only once for each disk you send even if an individual disk contains data from multiple servers.
- Go to the rCloud service portal and login.
- For each disk being sent, complete the Disk Seeding Form or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of clients and servers being shipped. This will generate your case number.
- Note down this case number (reference number) as you will be required to enter it while setting up the machine for seeding.
Connect your import disk to a Windows machine that can share it so that it is accessible as a CIFS network share.
NOTE: The import disk must be fully accessible to all users:
- The import disk or destination folder must be explicitly shared in Windows
- The import disk or destination folder must allow Full Access to all users (i.e., Everyone)
Import Your Server
When you have your import disk properly configured, you can begin importing your servers.
- Create and install an agent in the same way as you would when Seeding via the Internet. Ensure that the agent is checking in to rCloud .
- Click on the Machines tab
- Click on ADD SEED.
In the Seed to Cloud dialog, click the button to select via Shipped Disk.
Complete the machine information fields:
- Select the name of the agent that will be managing this server in the Agent drop-down list.
- Select the Client where that agent resides.
- Enter the Virtual Machine Name exactly as it is displayed in the Hosts Inventory
- Enter the local Subnet Mask of the machine.
- Enter the local network Gateway for the machine.
- Enter the Machine IP Address of the machine.
- Enter a meaningful Machine Name, it will be used to identify the imported version of your machine in rCloud .
- Type in the case reference number that you noted when you filled out the Disk Seeding form in the Reference Number field.
- Fill in the UNC path to where you mounted the Destination Drive field.
- Fill in the Domain/Computer Name/ NAS field and credentials. You must enter the user name and password of a user account with permission to access the Destination Drive.
- Click ADD.
In the Import panel verify the import type as via Shipped Disk and click on Seed Disk to start the copying process. The Import Preparations status will display Copy Requested, as shown below.
When the copy process starts, the notification changes to Copying. You can click on the Preparing link and go to the Backups tab for the machine that is being imported.
Seeding a disk for manual import may take some time. Shortly after the process starts, it will calculate a time to completion. The estimate is displayed in the Upload Completed column. When finished, the system will show Copy Completed in the Status column.
This indicates that you can remove the drive, package it appropriately, and ship it to Accelerite Support to complete the import procedure.
Ship your Import Disk:
Attn: Accelerite RaaS Support
Reference: (your case/reference number)
301 116th Avenue SE, Suite 200
Bellevue, WA 98004
The Shipping Reference should be the case number you received.
When the drive arrives at Accelerite Support, we will give you an estimated time frame for the completed import to start based on the current volume of imports. We will return all drives via ground shipping.
Packing Your Drive for Shipment
We require that hard drives be appropriately packaged to ship to our data centers for disk seeding. Hard drives need to be packaged so they will arrive to us in working condition. A drive that is damaged in shipment may be inoperable and incapable of recovery.