ConVirt now allows VM configurations or running Virtual machines to be migrated to another server. This allows the administrator to re-organize the virtual machine to physical machine relationship to balance the workload. For example, a VM needing more CPU can be moved to a machine having available cpu cycles.
For VM Migration to succeed the following points must be considered.
- Shared storage for all GuestOS disks
- Identical mountpoints on all servers (hosts)
- The kernel and ramdisk when using para-virtualized virtual machines should also be shared.(This is not required if pygrub is used.)
- Centrally accessible installation media (iso)
- Preferably use identical machines with same version of Virtualization platform running (preferably Xen 3.1 and above)
- Migration needs to be done within the same subnet.
Migrate All : There is also a convenient feature to allow migrating all Virtual machines. This is useful particularly when a Server is to be upgraded or brought down for maintenance.