This is a collections of "HOWTO's" useful for spot learning.
Q. How do I specify a storage location that can be used by all provisioning operations that occur in a Server Pool ?
A. ConVirt allows you to set a bunch of information associated with a Server Pool. This information takes precedence at the time of provisioning an new VM in the Server Pool. For using this feature to specify the central store,
- Select the Server Pool
- Right mouse click to get to the context menu
- Select Provisioning Settings...
- Enter VM_DISKS_DIR as name and /mnt/shared/class_a_storage as the value.
From now on, when you provision using Template on to this Server Pool, the disks for the VM would get created at /mnt/shared/class_a_storage location.
Q. I want to use LVMs as disks for my VMs. How do I create new LVM partitions when I provision new VMs ?
A. With ConVirt, it is easy to use LVM partitions for the providing storage for new VMs. Lets take the Linux_CD_install Template that ships with ConVirt and tweak it to use LVMs instead of file based storage.
- Click on Linux_CD_install Template and choose Edit Settings.
- Select the Storage from the wizard.
- Select the disk and click on the Edit.
- A new dialog with Storage Details would show up, change the Type from File/VBD to Logical Volume.
- Change the Location from $VM_DISKS_DIR/$VM_NAME.disk.xm to /dev/MY_VG/$VM_NAME.disk.xm
- Press Save to save the information.
- Press ok to save the changes
- Select the Template and provision it as you would normally, with the name say "debian_test"
- you should see the debian_test.disk.xm logical volume created under /dev/MY_VG
- Your debian_test vm is now set up to use the newly created /dev/MY_VG/debian_test.disk.xm volume.
Q. How do I use iSCSI and AOE with ConVirt?
For Ubuntu 8.10 (and maybe other distributives)
If there would be problems with ISCSI check that ISCSI is properly configured:
sudo iscsiadm -m discovery now substitute ISCSI-SERVER-IP-ADDRESS with IP address from above command: sudo iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p ISCSI-SERVER-IP-ADDRESS sudo /etc/init.d/open-iscsi restart
Q. How do I create VM using debootstrap / xen-tools with ConVirt?
Check out : http://www.convirture.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1875
Many thanks to Bronto for providing this template.
Q. How do I send and email to a particular address when a provisioning operations is done ?