This is a collections of "HOWTO's" useful for spot learning.
Q. How do I specify a storage location that can be used by all provisioning operations that occur in a Server Pool ?
A. ConVirt allows you to set a bunch of information associated with a Server Pool. This information takes precedence at the time of provisioning an new VM in the Server Pool. For using this feature to specify the central store,
- Select the Server Pool
- Right mouse click to get to the context menu
- Select Settings...
- Enter VM_DISKS_DIR as name and /mnt/shared/class_a_storage as the value.
From now on, when you provision the image on to this Server Pool, the disks for the VM would get created at /mnt/shared/class_a_storage location.
Q. I want to use LVMs as disks for my VMs. How do I create new LVM partitions when I provision new VMs ?
A. With ConVirt, it is easy to use LVM partitions for the providing storage for new VMs. Lets take the Linux_CD_install image that ships with ConVirt and tweak it to use LVMs instead of file based storage.
- Click on Linux_CD_install image and choose Edit Settings.
- Select the disk and click on the Properties.
- A new dialog with disk details would show up, change the type from file/VBD to phy.
- Press ok to save the information
- Now switch to the Provisioning tab
- change hda_disk_type from VBD to LVM
- change VM_DISKS_DIR to point to the Volume group from which the new logical volumes would get created. For example : /dev/MY_VG
- Press ok to save the changes
- Select the image and provision it as you would normally, with the name say "debian_test"
- you should see the debian_test.disk.xm logical volume created under /dev/MY_VG
- Your debian_test vm is now set up to use the newly created /dev/MY_VG/debian_test.disk.xm volume.
Q. How do I use iSCSI and AOE with ConVirt?
For Ubuntu 8.10 (and maybe other distributives)
If there would be problems with ISCSI check that ISCSI is properly configured:
sudo iscsiadm -m discovery now substitute ISCSI-SERVER-IP-ADDRESS with IP address from above command: sudo iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p ISCSI-SERVER-IP-ADDRESS sudo /etc/init.d/open-iscsi restart
Q. How do I send and email to a particular address when a provisioning operations is done ?