To seed a vSphere virtual machine over the internet, carry out the following steps from any location using a web browser (you do not need to be connected to the network where the machine is located).
Note: You must delete (using Snapshot Manager) any existing snapshots for the VM before you import it.
NOTE: Seeding via disk (manual import) is described in a later section.
- Navigate to the Machines Tab.
Click ADD SEED.
Complete the Seed to Cloud form as follows and then click ADD:
- Select vSphere Machine.
- Select via Internet.
- Ensure the correct Agent is selected in the Agent drop down list.
- Enter the **Virtual Machine Name exactly as it is displayed in the Hosts Inventory***
- Enter the local Subnet Mask of the machine.
- Enter the local default Gateway of the machine.
- Enter the local IP Address of the machine.
- Enter a meaningful Machine Name, it will be used to identify the agent in the rCloud.
On the Import Operation screen click the Import Button Import. Read the warning regarding snapshots and upload times and click OK if you are ready to proceed.
The import status changes to Upload Requested.
Watch the status and ensure that the sub-status appears below it. The machine is uploading when the status reads Uploading and the sub status reads Uploading as shown below.
You can click on the sub status to view upload progress.
Once the Import completes you should see a status of Finished with the description Backup completed successfully.