AppAssure Manual Import
In some instances you may need to ship a physical hard drive to Accelerite Support so that your backups can be uploaded to rCloud. This procedure is called Seeding via Disk (also referred to as a Manual Import). The preparation and shipping of a drive is described below.
Prepare and Ship a Hard Drive
Follow the steps below to ship us your AppAssure backups on a disk so we can upload them to the rCloud service for you. Before you begin, please note:
- Be sure to start a new, continuous, incremental backup chain by running a new full backup before importing your server to rCloud.
- Only ship bare (i.e., non-enclosed) 3.5. SATA hard drives and package them appropriately. The rCloud manual import service supports hard drive capacities up to 4 TB.
- Do not send USB drives or enclosures as they will be returned without your disk images being imported.
- When populating seed disks locally attached to the server where the rCloud agent is installed have the backups written to the root of the disk.
When populating seed disks mounted as a network share, create a root-level shared folder on the disk (e.g. .servernamesharename.).
NOTE: the administrative share (e.g. servernamed$) will not work
- Format import seed disks with one .Primary. NTFS partition.
You can ship multiple servers on a single disk. Please notify us only once for each disk you send even if an individual disk contains data from multiple servers.
- For each disk being sent, complete the Disk Seeding Form with a list of clients and servers being shipped. This will generate your case number.
- Note down this case number (reference number) as you will be required to enter it while setting up the machine for seeding.
- Create a Client if one doesn.t already exist for the machines you are seeding.
NOTE: The minimum agent version required to perform this import is 3.3.8@13615. You can check the version on the Agents tab once the agent checks in. Contact Accelerite Support if the agent needs to be updated.
- Click on the Machines tab
- Click ADD SEED.
In the Seed to Cloud dialog, click the buttons to select AppAssure Machine and via Shipped Disk.
- Complete the top section of the form as you would for an import via the Internet
- Ensure the correct Client is selected in the Clients drop-down list.
- Ensure the correct Agent is selected in the Agent drop-down list.
- Select the Machine to Seed. The form will automatically populate with all machines currently being backed up by the Core where the selected agent is installed, unless they are already seeded to the rCloud.
- Enter a meaningful Machine Name to identify the machine in the rCloud.
- Click ADD
Complete the bottom section of the form with the disk seeding information
- Type in the case Reference Number that you received by filling out the disk seeding form, or by direct e-mail.
- Fill in the Destination Drive or UNC path. This is the location of the disk where the data will be copied to
- If you are entering a drive letter just enter drive letter and a colon (no backslash). e.g. F:
- If you are entering a UNC path only enter the server and share name, do not enter sub-folders. e.g. servershare
NOTE: When copying to a UNC path ensure a root level share is created. The administrative share (e.g. serverd$) will not work.
- If the destination drive is a UNC path, fill in the Domain/Computer Name/NAS field and credentials. Do NOT complete these field if the Destination Drive is a local.
- Click Add.
The Operation page will show the notification Copy Requested, as shown below.
- When the copy process starts, the notification changes to Copying.
- You can click on the Preparing link and go to the Backups tab for the machine that is being imported.
- Seeding a disk for manual import may take some time. Shortly after the process starts, it will calculate a time to completion. The estimate is displayed in the Upload Completed column.
When finished, the system will show Copy Completed in the Status column.
The notification is also shown in the Machines tab.
Ship the drive to:
Attn: Accelerite RaaS Support
Reference: (your case/reference number)
301 116th Avenue SE, Suite 200
Bellevue, WA 98004
The Shipping Reference should be the case number you received.
When the drive arrives at Accelerite Support, we will give you an estimated time frame for the completed import to start based on the current volume of imports. We will return all drives via ground shipping.
Packing Your Drive for Shipment
We require that hard drives be appropriately packaged to ship to our data centers for disk seeding.