Note These are instructions tested on Ubuntu 9.04/9.10. There might be slight variations on other distributions. We would appreciate your contribution in refining these instructions with distribution specific changes.
If you wish to create a virtual machine for installing ConVirt, use instructions here and then follow instructions below.
Installing and setting up ConVirt Management Server (CMS)
- Log in as a user account in which you wish to setup ConVirt management server. Lets call this CMS account. It is recommended not to use the root account for CMS installation.
- Install wget
sudo apt-get install wget sudo
- Setup Proxy : If your organization has a proxy server to access internet, then make sure that you set the http_proxy variable as follows at the time of ConVirt installation and setup.
export http_proxy="http://company-proxy-server:80" NOTE The proxy port may be different. In this example, 80 is assumed.
- Download the packages from the Convirture website.
wget --no-cache http://www.convirture.com/downloads/convirt/2.0.1/convirt-install-2.0.1.tar.gz wget --no-cache http://www.convirture.com/downloads/convirt/2.0.1/convirt-2.0.1.tar.gz wget --no-cache http://www.convirture.com/downloads/convirture-tools/2.0.1/convirture-tools-2.0.1.tar.gz
- Untar in the home directory. You will see the directory containing scripts to create TurboGerars2 (tg2) environment and ConVirt management server in the home directory.
tar -xzf convirt-install-2.0.1.tar.gz
- Install dependencies either as root user or using sudo.
sudo ./convirt-install/install/cms/scripts/install_dependencies NOTE When prompted for mysql credentials for root, enter "convirt" (you can change this later.) NOTE On 10.04 (lucid) you have to run: sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev python2.6-dev python-setuptools
- Setup innodb buffer and memory pool.
In the mysql configuration file /etc/my.cnf under [mysqld] section. Please add the following two lines innodb_buffer_pool_size=1G innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
Restart mysqld /etc/init.d/mysqld restart
- Install ConVirt. For this, log in as CMS user account.
- * If required, setup Proxy again, as now you are logged in as CMS user account.
- By default the CMS will get installed in the home directory like ~/convirt. If you wish it to be at any other location, please update CONVIRT_BASE varialbe in install/cms/scripts/install_config file.
For example, change
Now CMS will get installed under ~/cms/convirt
- Untar the CMS tarball.
source convirt-install/install/cms/scripts/install_config tar -xzf ./convirt-2.0.1.tar.gz -C $CONVIRT_BASE
- * Setup TurboGears
- * Setup ConVirt
- Modify sqlalchemy.url in src/convirt/web/convirt/development.ini to reflect user and password for the mysql database.
For example in the following url, username = root, password = convirt, server=localhost, database port = 3306 and database name is convirt (the one before '?' in the url) sqlalchemy.url=mysql://root:convirt@localhost:3306/convirt?charset=utf8
- and then execute :
NOTE You would be prompted for password/passphrase for SSH identity for CMS server. You will be required to enter the password/passphrase every time you start the ConVirt Management Server (CMS). You can choose to leave it blank.
Validating the CMS Setup
- Start ConVirt Management Server
cd ~/convirt ./convirt-ctl start
- NOTE You would be prompted for passphrase. Enter the same passphrase that you gave at the time of setting up ConVirt
- If the firewall is enabled, configure it to allow TCP access to port 8081
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 8081 -j ACCEPT
- Find the IP address of the machine using,
- Point your browser at CMS : http://ip-address:8081/. The default credentials are admin/admin.
- Stop server once you are done.
cd ~/convirt ./convirt-ctl stop
Continue with rest of the setup procedure here .